Willamette ESD offers nursing services for districts through two separate programs: Nurse Consultant Services and School Nurse Services. Registered nurses from both program assist school districts in maintaining compliance with federal/state mandates and 504 requirements for student health issues. Services can be purchased through Resolution dollars or by individual contracts.
Nurse Consultant Services
Eligible students include special education and regular education children (birth through 21 years) who have special health needs such as seizures, asthma, severe allergies (food or insect bites), diabetes, shunts, Gastrostomy tubes, tracheotomies or catheterizations.
- Comprehensive nursing assessment of student’s health status
- Ongoing consultation with parents, student, physician, community resources
- Participation in development of IEP/IFSP and 504 Plans
- Development of Health Management Plan (HMP) and Transportation/Bus Protocol which is updated annually and as needed
- Training of staff per HMP, including Anticipated Emergency Tasks such as administration of Epi-pen injection, Glucagon injection, Diastat Rectal Gel
- Delegation of nursing tasks (i.e. G-tube feeding, tracheotomy suctioning) which are student specific
School Nurse Services
This program is offered to assist districts that do not have school nurses on site. Services are available to all enrolled students.
- Coordination of annual health screening and follow up as needed for vision, dental, head lice and other health needs with parents/physicians/community resources
- Immunization review, reports to county health departments, exclusion as mandated by the state of Oregon
- Assessment, referral, evaluation and monitoring status for compliance with infectious diseases such as TB
- Staff education: CPR, First Aid, Medication Administration, Blood Borne Pathogens/Infection Control
- Student education: as per teacher/building request (Family Life/Growth and Development, Hygiene, etc)
- Early Intervention and Early Childhood Special Education (EI/ECSE)
- Special Services
- Regional Services
- K-12 Classrooms
- Statewide Services
- SpEd Staff Resources