Paraprofessional Assessment & ODE Qualifications
ODE Qualifications of Paraprofessionals/Educational Assistants
All educational assistants or others employed or contracted in that capacity must:
- Have a high school diploma or the equivalent;
- Be at least 18 years of age; and
- Have standards of moral character as required of teachers (OAR 584-005-0005).
- In addition to the qualifications listed in section (1) of this rule, educational assistants providing translation services must have demonstrated proficiency and fluency, knowledge of and the ability to provide accurate translations from a language other than English into English and from English into a language other than English.
In addition to the qualifications listed in section (1) of this rule, Title I-A educational assistants must have:
- Completed two years of study at an institution of higher education; or
- Obtained an Associate’s (or higher) degree; or
Met a rigorous standard of quality and demonstrate through a formal state, or local academic assessment or para-educator certificate program, knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing:
- Reading, writing, and mathematics; or
- Reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness, as appropriate.